Learn About Our Project:
This is not your typical dungeon crawl. Unique intuitive and elegant euro-style mechanics combined with strong co-operation and a dark and deeply immersive theme puts Perdition’s Mouth in it’s own category. It combines the tactical elements seen in blockbusters such as Myth (v2), the struggle to survive from Posthuman, and the awesome dungeon crawling of Descent and Sword & Sorcery.
No dice? Rondels? No gamemaster? Hand management? Crucial co-operation? All in a dungeon crawl? Yes! Keep reading and see...
The game designers of Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift (Timo Multamäki, Thomas Klausner and Kevin Wilson) set out to implement a new kind of dungeon crawl. One that embraces the European school of game design with clever and elegant mechanics and emphasizes strategy while minimizing luck. Cooperation, planning and the enemy response deck eliminate the need for chucking dice, creating a tense combat environment with meaningful decisions! The rondels provide another tactical layer, including the enemy’s devious and challenging AI.
Kevin Wilson, famed designer of Arkham Horror and Descent: “The way the rondel worked, the unique feel of each hero, and the gritty horror fantasy theme all appealed to me, as there was nothing else like it on the market. I think this is a real winner!
There are a very few exclusives, but still a few in this campaign. These three items will never be available in retail channels:
- The bonus Wound card that Timo designed for beating the second social challenge.
- A Bonus Scenario designed by Adam & Brady Sadler
- A very nasty Response card that Timo designed for failing the first social challenge
The heroes you’ll play are not the usual bland, stereotyped adventurers you’ll find in most fantasy worlds. These are imperfect individuals, each with strengths and weaknesses, and they will have to prove that they are heroes through actions, not boasts.
All miniatures are delivered UNPAINTED, but PRE-ASSEMBLED. You can see here what they look like when painted (by our team members).
We’ll be releasing more art and details about the game’s characters throughout the campaign. You can find some information now on our website.
You can follow us on social networks and unlock additional content! Help us get more and more people involved in this campaign; the more followers and fans we get, the greater the rewards.
Perdition’s Mouth: Abyssal Rift can be played in either standalone or campaign mode.
Together, the scenarios form a campaign into the depths of the Abyssal Rift, where your choices and outcomes in one scenario profoundly affect your chances for success in the next. Will your heroes triumph in the end, or allow their grievous wounds and emotional scars to overwhelm them in defeat?
Each scenario is played out through rounds of combat against enemies controlled by the game itself. In each round, players will choose an action from the Stone of Destiny.
The limited number of spots on each action spoke means that players must collaborate and make meaningful choices about when to activate them, encouraging them to discuss how best to achieve their goals before the scenario overwhelms them. Lone wolves never last long in Perdition's Mouth. Read more about the rondel mechanic from here.
Each Hero has a sheet showing the values of your character’s five attributes: Action Points, Range, Hit Points, Attack, and Defense.
Players gain action points according to their character sheet and may spend them to perform actions from the Rock of Destiny like moving, attacking and using powerful special abilities.
Each hero has a unique deck of Hero cards. There are two type of cards in every Hero’s deck:
- Feat cards: These Hero cards provide a variety of powerful abilities such as magic attacks, tricky movements, healing prayers and many others.
- Numeric cards: These Hero cards have a large number printed on them. You can play numeric cards to boost other actions and abilities.
Match the symbols of the actions on the Rock of Destiny with those shown on your Hero cards to play them. If you can’t match the symbols, you may improvise and play them as multi-purpose +1 cards instead.
Aiding your fellow heroes is one of the core mechanics in Perdition’s Mouth, and it may well be the difference between survival and defeat. You can play your Hero cards during other players’ turns to help them beat enemies, move faster, open or break doors and treasure chests, and much more.
However, there is an element of chaos and dread inherent to any life-or-death struggle. Will your hand shake when aiming at an overpowered enemy? What about picking a lock while running away from a bunch of bloodthirsty pursuers?
You draw Response Cards when performing certain actions, like during combat. The number stated on the cards will then apply to and modify the results. Sometimes the chaos will act in your favor, but other times your problems will just get worse.
THE GAME ROUND
Each round in Perdition’s Mouth consists of two phases: the Hero Phase and the Enemy Phase. During the Hero Phase each player, in player-chosen order, selects and performs one action from the Stone of Destiny.
You need to spend 1 Action Point per Action Spoke to move around the Rock of Destiny. You might not have enough Action Points to always be able to reach any Action Spoke, though you get to skip over an Action Spoke if all its peg holes are occupied. This makes the order of play even more critical!
Choose your actions carefully! Since you cannot remain on the same spoke, think ahead to your next turn when you will have to choose a different action, and consider the number of Action Points you’ll have to spend to reach the desired spoke.
If you’re brave enough, during your campaign you may get yourself some additional items and gear to give your character some extra help in upcoming battles. Treasure Cards are added to your backpack and you can equip and use them at any time.
If you are truly a Hero though, you will not shirk the responsibility of rescuing the poor souls being captured for who knows what nefarious purpose. When you rescue a victim, you draw a card from the Victim Hero deck and add it to your hand. It will add a strong numeric card to your Hero deck.
Once all players have completed their turns, the Enemy phase takes place, which is controlled by the Enemy Watchstone.
In the center of the Enemy Watchstone is a dial, which is rotated to track the Threat level of the scenario (the image above depicts a current Threat level of 2). The Threat level represents how dangerous you are as perceived by the cultists, and it changes during the game depending on your actions.
The Enemy phase begins by drawing a Response card. The number on this card determines how many spokes the enemy peg moves clockwise on the Enemy Watchstone. Then all enemies perform all of the actions the enemy peg has moved through (not just the last one the peg ended in).
Want to try out playing it on your computer? Go here for the VASSAL computerized module of PM and get to slaying cultists!
To minimize costs for our backers, we are covering the cost of shipping the completed games from manufacturing to distribution locations in the US, EU, Australia, China, and Canada. We have established relationships with reliable fulfilment centers that are experienced with major projects.
Due to the high cost of manufacturing and assembling all of the custom parts for Perdition’s Mouth, the last leg of the journey has to be partially covered by backers. Please add the following shipping amounts to your pledge for the Retail or Exclusive tiers:
- USA, Canada, Australia & EU: $10 USD
- Switzerland, Norway, Lichtenstein: $17 USD
- China, Taiwan, Thailand, Maleysia, Philippines, South Korea & New Zealand: $21 USD
- Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, and anywhere else: $30 USD
Shipping for the Gamer's Bargain Bundle is outlined in the pledge tier description and Kickstarter will ask you to include the required shipping when you set your pledge. Please note: Norway, Lichenstein and Switzerland in the Gamer's Bundle were posted incorrectly and cannot be changed now. The correct shipping price should be $7 USD. Pledgers in those countries at that tier will be refunded the difference after the campaign.
We're excited to make available some add-ons that will be available for purchase with and after this campaign:
- The World of Perdition’s Mouth – A digital book full of details on the inhabitants, both heroic and vile, that live in the universe of the Abyssal Rift. Info and art of the treasures, maps, game graphics, and more! – $20 (Included in the Gamer's Bargain Bundle)
- Hero Trait deck – optionally adds more personality to the heroes along with unique benefits for each – $15 (Included in the Gamer's Bargain Bundle)
- Printed translated rulebooks – including localized symbol sheet - $10 (Currently planned are versions in German, French, Spanish, and Italian)
- Promotional “Zero sided” die – Campaign exclusive design will not be made available outside of the Kickstarter – $5
- “Backer” t-shirt in Arctic Union blue (sample) – $30
- Have your game signed by the dev team – This is the same option that Essen Pick-up backers are getting, without the trouble of driving all the way to Essen! – $6
- Expansion: Hideout – featuring Neshilim, the deposed despot (see updates #16 and #17 for details) - $35 (Included in the Gamer's Bargain Bundle)
- Wound Promo Deck – A pack of nine extra-brutal wound cards designed by our awesome backers and fans to supplement the existing wound deck. Details in update #26 and its origins in this thread. – $5
- Portcullises and Levers – includes three lever miniatures and three portcullis miniatures, which will replace the cardboard tokens in the base game. – $20 (Included in the Gamer's Bargain Bundle)
- Additional Victims –You can order additional victim miniatures (either kind). Note: The Kickstarter Exclusive box comes with enough miniatures for all of the included scenarios. But if you would like more of one or the other... – $5 each
- Painting Guide – DDP, with the help of our fans, will create a detailed painting guide for Perdition's Mouth Miniatures, delivered in multiple digital formats with high resolution images and links to materials used for easy access. – $5
- Black Hat – International Standard OR Nordic Premium Edition – $45
- Modern Society – $15
- Inquisitio – $15
NOTE: Shipping for all add-ons is included for EU, US, Canada & Australia destinations. Anywhere else, please add $2 per physical add-on.
Add-ons are only available with a reward tier that includes the game Perdition's Mouth. Essen Pickup will not incur shipping charges for add-ons.
One of the most important advantages of a crowd-funding is the fact that it keep us in touch with you, the players. You are the main reason why we make quality games - we want you to have fun!
Without you, we cannot afford the production costs of Perdition’s Mouth: Abyssal Rift, and therefore the game could never reach stores. We need you to make it a reality, and bring it to the most players possible.
- Timo Multamäki aka “Multis” – a game designer with strong convictions and a vivid imagination. Created the Arctic Union, a cooperative of Finnish game designers, five years ago. Designed and published a few board games (Zanziar, Phantom League + 2 expansions, Black Hat) and a book “The Legacy of Dragonbane“. An active member of the BGG community with a known tendency to be blunt in a typically Finnish way of resolving things.
- Thomas Klausner from Austria has been playing board games all his life. A few years ago he started getting active in developing games and editing rules. He co-edited the rulebooks for Phantom League – Mostly Harmless and is the main editor and co-designer for Perdition’s Mouth: Abyssal Rift, as well as for Black Hat. He also developed a tournament organizing web application which has been used for Agricola World Championship and Settlers of Catan European Championship tournaments.
- Kevin Wilson from the USA is a game designer and developer who is well known for designing games under Fantasy Flight Games. He has also worked for Alderac Entertainment Group and has a degree in artificial intelligence from the University of California, Berkeley. Kevin’s notable earlier game on dungeon crawl scene is Descent.
- Jere Kasanen AD / Graphic designer / Developer of such games as Serpent’s Tongue and Nations + many upcoming titles.
- Tanja Ylitalo, illustrator
- Juha Salmijärvi, illustrator
- Matthias Catrein has been working in the scene since 2003, doing everything pre-press related: Illustrations and layout of a complete game. He’s known for his work on the German “Game of the Year” (2009), Dominion.
- Jamie Noble is a digital artist for books and games, as well as an avid board gamer.
- Chris Gabrish, 3D models
Perdition’s Mouth is a passion project for us, and as such we have set our base funding goal at the lowest possible amount that will get the game made. The game’s design is done already, as is almost all of the art and modeling, and our team is working hard to finish polishing it to a high shine. You can get an overview of the current status of the game In the chart below:
Funding for development so far has come from the developers and their supportive friends and families. To increase the likelihood of success, we’ve purposely calculated the funding to be tight. Hitting the initial goal will make sure we get to actually make the game we’ve worked so hard to bring to life, and every bit will go to production and fulfilment… and we will be ecstatic if this happens! It’s important that our backers understand what we’re doing with the money they’ve entrusted us with, so we’re committed to transparency in our funding. Below is a quick breakdown, and if you have any additional questions please don’t hesitate to ask!
We have purposely designed the stretch goals we’re offering to allow for both additional production costs and paying back expenses incurred to design the game. Any money raised by this Kickstarter above the base funding goal (after paying the required fees like Kickstarter, Amazon and foreign banking) will be divided according to the following chart:
Yes, we are using BackerKit for gathering survey data after project funding period. It will make our and your life easier.